Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Tootsie Tuesday

It's the first edition of Tootsie Tuesday!
Formally Thrifty Tuesday (which will now be Thrifty Thursday) Tootsie Tuesday will be focused on DIY beauty products, fashion, and any and all things related to fabulous style!

Today's post is a tutorial on how to make your own liquid soap. 
You can use it as hand soap or as body wash.
I've adapted my recipe from Amy Bayliss.
Amy did the math and says
"This recipe can be made for less than $1.50 and it refills a soap dispenser 6 or more times. 
That is 25 cents a bottle!"
The reason I choose to make my own liquid soap is because I usually receive lots of bar soaps in my subscription boxes or I can get them super inexpensively online.
photo 3.JPG 

Like Amy, I grated my soap and used 11 cups of water. 
The difference is that I used:
 a bar soap by Whispering Willow 
a perfume oil instead of essential oil
DID NOT USE A BLENDER! I've done this before and it was a mess!
added in some unscented lotion to make it moisturizing
I suppose you could also use coconut oil instead of lotion but I've never tried it.

So that means my recipe looks like this:
11 cups of water
1 bar of all natural soap
1 tablespoon of glycerin 
10 drops of perfume oil

bring 4 cups of water to a boil
while waiting for the water to boil, use a grater to shave the soap
once at a boil add the grated soap to the water
whisk until it melts completely
add the glycerin
once the soap is completely melted turn off the heat
add the remaining water
allow to cool for at least an hour
add the essential oils
let it sit overnight
slowly whisk in about a cup of lotion
if it needs a bit of water to thin it out you can add some
if you want it thicker add 2 more tablespoons of glycerin and allow it to sit for a few hours
use either an old hand soap or body wash bottle for storage

Amy says:
For use in foaming soap pumps, add about 1/4 cup to the bottle and add the rest water. 
Shake to incorporate it. 
I did not try this and I'm not sure if the foaming action will occur with the addition of the lotion.

What do you think? Did you make any changes? Let me know about it!


Like what you read?
  Say "hi" on:
Instagram @ginavromola
Email me at r3style.ysyw@gmail.com
Add me to your Feedly line up!

No comments:

Post a Comment