Thursday, January 22, 2015

Pho for Lazy People



One of my favorite recipes takes about 45 minutes to make if you do it per the directions. When I got out of class today I was starving and couldn't wait that long. So I thought to myself, "how do I develop the same flavors in a shorter amount of time?" Then it hit me! The other day at the store I picked up a Thai ginger broth made by Swanson's. I thought why not add a little bit of that to my vegetable broth and see if it gives me the same yummy ginger flavor that my 30 minute broth usually has. It was a total success (not that you could tell by the empty bowl pictured above mind you)! I will do this three version from now on more likely as it only took about 10 minutes! Here's what I did:

Serves one

Ingredients
1 1/4 cup vegetable broth preferably low-sodium
1/4 cup Swanson's thai ginger broth
1/2 small can of mushrooms stems and pieces, drained
Pat of butter
Four or five years of baby corn, quartered
Tablespoon of hoisin sauce
Teaspoon of sesame oil
One serving of rice noodles, dry
For garnish: bean sprouts, chili oil, and lime juice to taste

Directions
Get your broth boiling and a pot
And a pan sauté butter, mushrooms, baby corn, hoisin, and sesame oil on medium high heat for about 10 minutes. All of these items are already cooked, so you're really just feeding them through.
By the end of the 10 minutes your broth should have been boiling for several minutes.
Take broth off the heat and submerge your rice noodles. 
Once the rice noodles are tender transfer broth and noodles to a deep bowl. Top with your mushrooms, corn and choices of garnish.

Bon appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment