Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Mount Dora, FL

 
 
Mount Dora is a quaint artsy town where foodies, creatives, golfers, and shoppers can all co-mingle. I first learned of Mount Dora in about 2009 when I was living in Virginia and flew down to Leesburg, FL to visit my parents who had recently relocated. My parents had heard from neighbors how wonderful a town it was so they came out and explored it. Coming from North Carolina, a state rich with historical downtown areas, my parents were instantly enchanted by Mount Dora. On my second or third tip down my folks made it a point to bring me out to Mount Dora for the day.

At the time, I was a workaholic who was constantly checking my work email via my iPhone, texting with my staff to make sure everything was going smoothly back at the store, and wanted to be as efficient as possible in all actions. As you can imagine, driving almost an hour down quiet lake front back roads to see what I thought was going to be a sleepy town with crappy food did not sound like fun to me. However, I wanted to be a good sport for my parents so I climbed into the backseat and starred at my phone the entire drive over.

Once we finally arrived I was shocked at how fabulous my surroundings were. The town was lively with people and their puppies, heavenly smells from restaurant after restaurant, and beautiful historical architecture I remember seeing on school field trips as a child in North Carolina. There wasn't a chain or franchise in sight. All of the food options were prepared fresh on sight, by locals and ranged from deli sandwiches to french quiche and pork belly served with seared sea scollops.

The shops were full of local handmade goods, art, and specialty items that would make anyone's heart sing. European footwear was being sold next to antiques which was located across from shabby chic home decor. The options were far from what I was used to seeing back in my "normal" town where I would bounce from Nordstrom to Sephora to Teavana. Instead, the bath and beauty products were handmade by folks who lived a few streets up, the silk scarves were hand dyed by Florida natives, and the tea and coffee were being served in gorgeous antique pots and mugs. It was love at first sight.

A few years later, I relocated to Lake County Florida and have been coming up with every excuse possible to be in Mount Dora since. I'm dedicating this post to links to all of my favorite spots in Mount Dora. If you're local, please come out and experience all the beauty that is here!

Happenings:

 These links are to the web spots that keep me up to date on what going on in town.







Entertainment:


David Oliver Willis
My favorite local musician and American Idol contender can be heard all over central Florida, including his home town Mount Dora!

 This place is the ultimate spot for relaxation!
They offer the best personal care services for men and woman!

Food & Spirits:


This restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and after hours drinks and entertainment. The owners are amazing, the offerings are selections you typically only see over the pond, and the local folks who frequent are great company! The patio area is dog friendly!

 The name and the picture should say it all... This place has amazing cupcakes
and is now boasting a coffee bar too!

I love to get a box of goodies to share with friends and family here.
There are lots of beautiful options that taste out of this world!

There are a ton of delish options here, but my favorite is the spinach salad! They are a rockin' breakfast fruit salad on the menu too!
 
The seafood paella and a midori sour are my staples here. The patio is perfect and the inside porch is a treat you must see for yourself!
 
Our favorite Sunday lunch spot! They have some of the best servers in town, AMAZING house chips, great craft beer options, and offer a mean Sangria on Sundays! The patio is dog friendly!

The best Chai Latte in town people! I like mine dirty and iced!
 
 
The coolest lounge you will ever experience! The patio area is dog friendly, the patrons are fun loving, and the owners really know their craft beer and specialty wines!
 
I can't say enough about Norm and his palette! The clams (pictured above) are cooked in a wine garlic broth to perfection and will delight your taste buds. The art is all local (and for sale) the music is usually live, the spirits are unique, and the owner, Norm, is the most delightful person you may ever meet. Add the fact that the patio is dog friendly and you've got a real winner!
 

Shopping:

 
The only bookstore you will ever need again. They have a book club and feature regular game nights!
 
Looking for clothing that is fashionable AND comfortable? This is your one stop shop!
 
Want designer brands at a discount? The lively ladies here will help you shop till you drop, revive you with a beverage, and help you shop some more!
 
This place is full of treats that will delight everyone you know! Great for gifts for your friends, family, and yourself!
 
The best collection of local art in town! Bev Neal features her own work as well as the work of other local folks in this second story gem!
 
Looking for home decor you won't find anywhere else? Look no further!

These guys are kinda new in town, but you would never know it! They fit right in with their collection of bright and fresh offerings!
 
Have a spoiled pet in your life? You must come see the huge selection of pet treats, toys, and fashions!
 
Really, taste the balsamic ice cream sample. REALLY!
 
  This cute little consignment shop is full of fabulous finds for every budget! 

Our very own local farmer's market featuring local foods and crafts. We like to boat over with the puppies and stock up on produce we can't manage to grow ourselves!
 
If you can't complete your grocery shopping at the Village Market, the Health Basket has you covered! This grocery is packed full of healthy and nutrition options.

 https://www.pinterest.com/gvromola/     https://www.facebook.com/gvromola     https://www.linkedin.com/profile/preview?locale=en_US&trk=prof-0-sb-preview-primary-button     http://instagram.com/ginavromola/     https://www.etsy.com/shop/PinkOwlPrintables?ref=search_shop_redirect
 

No comments:

Post a Comment