Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Life Lesson As Taught By Disney

 disney

Ah the magic of Disney. I’m always so surprised at how many folks I speak with that think Disney and all of its fantastic glory is just for kids. As a “Disney Baby” and a former Walt Disney World employee, I am here to tell you that Disney is not just for children.

Sure there is a lot of fantasy and whimsy, but there is a lot of meaning and purpose as well. Lets start with Peter Pan…

peter pan.. pixie dust
Image from Etsy

The story of Peter Pan may just look like it’s about a silly boy who refuses to grow up flying around with a feisty jealousy prone fairy battling an eccentric pirate and his crew, but if you take a closer look you’ll find there is much more to the story.  I think Dennis Bonilla explains it best here but I will do my best to explain my theory. Let us first consider Neverland, a place where children go after leaving their parents with a flying boy to laugh and play without ever having to be responsible for anything. The only danger they may encounter is whimsical and they always triumph over an challenge. Sounds like a pretty awesome place right? Perhaps like Heaven, maybe? Now, let us consider the flying boy who comes only to the children to help them fly away into the night sky. Like an angel perhaps? You decide for yourself.
 cute-gus
Image from Oh My Disney

Now Cinderella’s hidden meaning shouldn’t seem so hidden right? The kindest girl you’ll ever meet is treated incredibly poorly by her family and not allowed in happiness. Then one day, her friends (portrayed by birds, mice, and other animals) realize they could help her have a special night of fun and help her achieve this. Of course, due to all of her good karma that’s been building up for years, she meets the man of her dreams and lives happily ever after when she wasn’t even looking for love. Now, some people see this as a girl being rescued by her prince who magically makes everything better. I see a girl being supported and loved by her friends like Gus seen above.

funny-Up-scene-South-America
Image from TheMetaPicture.com

Up! There are so many lessons in this movie I’m not sure I can remember them all! Carl and Ellie teach us that life throws some curveballs every now and again, that losing someone you love is hard, and that ultimately spending time with people you love and cherish is the great adventure anyone can ever have in life. Russell reminds us that kids really just need to be loved and nurtured. His fondest memories with his father were the “boring” ones, which should remind parents that it’s not about stuff, its about time.

The Fox and the Hound Key art
Image from MoviePosterDB.com

Are you crying yet? I first saw this movie as a child and balled my eyes out. I didn’t realize at the time that I was learning that friends could come in all shapes and sizes, from many different places, cultures, and backgrounds. This movie teaches us not to be prejudice and to follow our heart even when others are trying to pull us in a different direction. I must stop writing about this now because I’m starting to tear up.
Clearly, this post covers just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Disney life lessons. I will leave you with one of my most tried and true methods for handling a tough situation…

Disney :)
Image from Pinterest

http://www.pinterest.com/gvromola/      http://instagram.com/ginavromola/     https://www.facebook.com/gvromola     https://www.linkedin.com/profile/preview?locale=en_US&trk=prof-0-sb-preview-primary-button     https://www.etsy.com/shop/PinkOwlPrintables?ref=hdr

No comments:

Post a Comment